[linux] RE: Take a Stand

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Thu Oct 7 20:57:04 UTC 2004

Walt/K5YFW Commented...

>I think that TAPR is a perfect organization to take a couple of stands in
>Amateur Radio.
>
>First I think that someone, and it might as well be TAPR, should make it
>perfectly clear that the computer is a perfectly good and useful tool
>in the amateur radio tool kit...the computer today in amateur radio is
>as am important tool as the "bug" was to CW and amateur radio prior
>to WWII.

I think that is fairly clear, or it should be, with our support of Gerald
Younbloods SDR1000 Digital HF Radio, and soon to be the Vector Network
Analyser.

Each of these uses a computer to do the main processing. Similarly the
GNUradio stuff.

>Second, I believe that TAPR is the perfect promoter of open source
>operating systems and amateur radio applications.  Unless more hams
>start using computers and "hacking" code, equivalent to hacking WWII
>surplus radio equipment, we will get lost in the technological expressway.

YES.... Which is why we support the DCC each year. Which is why the VNC code
is Open Source. Which is why there will *ALWAYS* be VNC Open Source Code.

>Last, I think its important for someone to look at using IPv6 for amateur
>radio use since so much of our data communications as well as VoIP can
>and should use IP addresses.

This last point is the most interesting... Phil Karn, KA9Q and I were
discussing this at the DCC. I need to write everything up, but this has
merit. I did some of this work at the dcc, and did find some interesting
things out.

But there are a few things that need to be done to make IPv6 usable in Ham
Radio.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
www.radio-active.net.au\blog\ - www.radio-active.net.au\web\tracking

End of linux Digest, Vol 4, Issue 2