[linux] RE: Take a Stand

Gerry Creager n5jxs gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Oct 8 21:36:19 UTC 2004

Apparently unknown to some, there are those of us working with Internet2
to acquire an IPv6 address space for Amateur Radio and start the effort
to do some implelentations.

The initial thought is to get a /48 block (first 48 bits of the 128-bit
address reserved for prefix, then distribute /56's to networks/users
with network aspirations.  reserving 56 bits of the remaining 72 for
callsign encoding (as in, plain, readable ASCII) yields a 16-bit network
space for playing.  That's equivalent to a Class-B in IPv4 terms.
Should be enough for any individual for at least my foreseeable future,
or for a club/ARES team or equiavelent to build out a metro network.

There are decided benefits already within the IPv6 mobility plans to
accommodate home-node relay to alternately registered systems; multicast
for directed point-to-multipoint dissemination, several other possibilities.

The work's started.  I've got to get a white paper on-track this weekend
to Internet2 to go to the Abilene planning meeting.

73, gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020
FAX:  979.847.8578 Pager:  979.228.0173