[linux] RE: Take a Stand

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Sat Oct 9 22:07:57 UTC 2004

James French W8ISS wrote:
> OK....
>
> Maybe I'm missing the point here or maybe not.
>
> What little I understand about the new IPv6 address structure is
> that it will give more addresses for usage.
>
> What is wrong with what we do have under the older APMERnet addresses?
> Don't we still have plenty of room there to do what we want to do and
> assign
> one to each and every ham in the world based on them being licensed?
>
> James W8ISS

James, just one example...my XYL, WB5WXY, and I would like to set
up our own little network around the campus...but we need about
15 IP addresses.  The domain assigned for us is 44.76.2. and
there are no more IP addresses in that domain.

If we would like to set up a metroLAN for amateur radio use
connecting all the emergency typs users in the area and fold into
the MetroLAN all the local home networks and mobile IP, we would
need close to 3,000 IP addresses.  The 44. domain just can't
handle this world-wide.

We're not looking at what could be done today; but what will be
required in the future.

Another point is embedding you callsign in the IP address...IPv4
can't handle this.

Walt/K5YFW