[linux] Callsign coding (was Take a Stand)

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Oct 14 13:13:04 UTC 2004

My though is that this offers a mechanism for on-air addressing that
incorporates readable, or readily decodable, callsigns within the IP
address.  It allows interoperability with the Internet, but it's not
exclusive to the Internet.  It *can* be used on RF.  The use of IPv6
addressing with modified EUI64 callsign encoding was what made me
present this originally.  It looks like a 'natural' to me.

We can incorporate a registration and subsequent address assignment with
the embedded callsign using DHCP6.  This allows the users who don't want
to learn to code up their own addresses to have 'em auto-generated, and,
when someone goes to another area and registers with THAT network, they
get a consistent address, can register with their home network, and have
data/packets auto-rerouted to them at their mobility location.

73, gerry