[linux] Callsign coding (was Take a Stand)

Jeff King jeff at aerodata.net
Thu Oct 14 18:03:52 UTC 2004

I was just pointing out the fact that you don't need to imbed a callsign in
an IP address to use it over the air. You just need to identify on RF once
every 10 minutes in the U.S.

I also was commenting, on someone's suggestion "TAPR take a stand", that I'd
rather see it directly involve amateurs getting on the air, rather then
devising a "callsign coding" method. Now, if the current RF 44 net amprnet
was busting at the seams, I might feel different. Bottom line, you don't need
callsign IP address coding to get on the air and I rather see TAPR focus its
limited resources on problems that needs solutions.

That much being said, I commend your private efforts.