[linux] USB Sound Card

dubose at texas.net dubose at texas.net
Fri Sep 17 15:49:52 UTC 2004

John,

This from Gerald's GAQ pages...

Earlier today, I discovered that to make my Creative MP3+ usb sound module (and
probably my Extigy also) work on my laptop, I needed the second argument of the
statement in modMixer

rc = mixerOpen(hmixer, 0, 0, 0, 0)

to be changed to

rc = mixerOpen(hmixer, 1, 0, 0, 0)

thus opening the second device mixer since I have two sound devices in my
system. In addition, if your sound card is not defined as the default device,
the audio portions will not work either. We are looking at a way to automate
this selection. This was all under windows 2000 so may be handled differently
under other flavors of the os

I have since added another selection on the general tab of the options form to
allow entry of the Mixer ID from 0 to 6 similarly to the Line In and Mic In
Record ID selections. The statement from above now reads

rc = mixerOpen(hmixer, mixer_id, 0, 0, 0)

where mixer_id is set from the new added control.

Richard, W5SXD

> Hi Walt --
>
> USB sound cards work well under Windows -- I've been using a Creative
> Labs "MP3" (what a unique name...) card with my Flex-Radio SDR-1000 with
> good luck.  In fact, a USB card has some advantages over a bus card in
> that it's external to the machine and can pick up less noise.
>
> The MP3 is cheap -- around $60 IIRC.  Creative also has a higher-end
> (and physically much larger) USB device called, I think, the Audigy.  It
> has 24 bit DAC/ADC and is in the ~$150 price range.
>
> I haven't tried using the MP3 under Linux, but I remember Bob McGuire
> saying that he hadn't found any USB card that truly worked "right" under
> Linux.  But I'm not sure how rigorous his definition of "right" might be...
>
> 73,
> John
>

> dubose at texas.net wrote:
> > Three questions on USB Sound Cards...
> >
> > 1) Has any one used a USB Sound Card on Linux?
> >
> > 2) Has anyone use a USB Sound Card on MS 8.2 or Suse 9.1?
> >
> > 3) Are any USB Sound Cards equal to a SB Live or does the SB Live come as a
USB