[linux] Quiet Linux List

Martin AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Tue Aug 14 12:56:52 UTC 2007

Stephen - K1LNX wrote:
> You know, I forgot I was even subscribed to this list until I saw these
> messages come across!!!
>
> So here's a question to stir things up a bit, anyone know of a SQL based
> logging system? I really like xlog but this is one thing I wish was
> supported..... could take a stab at building my own, but I'm not much of
> a coder, more of a hardware/backend kinda guy ;)
>
> 73's
> Stephen
> K1LNX

Stephen -

I don't know of any SQL logging system, but I wonder why anyone would
want to use such a heavyweight system. Maybe because it's there on your
Linux box?  Or maybe because you think in SQL already.

Ham logging (mine, anyway) does not need any serious db features.  A
flat CSV file (to use with a spreadsheet like OO.o) would be sufficient.
  The complicated part is the front end - capturing the data in an
efficient way via a dedicated application, a spreadsheet dialog, or
whatever.  You may want some tricky reports later, but they wouldn't tax
the db.

73, Martin AA6E