[linux] Quiet Linux List

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 14 15:26:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> Stay away from SQL.  It's evil.
>
> Having said that, I recently spoke someone who is working on SQL generator in
> Python that will map Python expressions to a reasonable subset of SQL.  No, it's
> not perfect.  No, it doesn't handle all the corner cases but it will make your
> life far easier than actually using SQL.
>
> There are other relational databases out there (i.e. metakit) that are much
> nicer and I use whenever I have the option.

I've done a few things in RubyOnRails feeding a PostgreSQL database.
The nice thing here is that the Rails framework can hide a lot of
the SQL and database stuff from you letting you concentrate on
getting the job done.

Also it's nice to have a web interface so you can enter data and do
reports from your browser.

RubyOnRails is free and there are plenty of online tutorials on it.

I use Apache2 as the web server to feed up the rails apps but
lighttp is another good candidate.

You can use MySQL, Sybase, or any of several other databases instead
as the back-end.