[linux] Building a better mousetrap - replacement for xFBB?

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:05:58 UTC 2008

On 12/3/08, David Lane <kg4giy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a problem.  I cannot find the libraries necessary to build up xFBB,
> so I want to come at it a different way.  Here is what I am trying to
> achieve:
>
> We want a bbs that will store and forward messages via packet or telnet and
> includes:
>
> 1)  a method of sending receiving lists to 1 or more locations
>
> 2) be able to automatically forward mail to another node so it goes out on
> our emergency management network
>
> 3) create a local mailbox for non-national emergencies
>
> 4) act as a backup the winlink station without having to use the Internet.
>
> Ideally, this would be built on current (2007-2009) hardware and linux/open
> source code.
>
> xFBB was the solution, but the libraries for ax25, lesstif, ls-d and such
> are no longer available for the 4.07j version on code earlier than Core 7
> and it will not complile on Core 7 or later (I have already sent email to
> the xFBB list with the errors and received no response). Someone mentioned
> that xFBB is included in a Slackware distro, but I have not been able to
> track down that distro.
>
> So I am looking for ideas on how to build a better mouse trap.  The ax.25
> and TCP/IP stacks are native in the 2.6 kernel, so I wondering if it is just
> a matter of wiring some existing software in a different manner that I
> haven't considered (for example, using postfix as the mail agent and
> enabling telnet over ax.25).  Sadly, while I understand TCP/IP networking,
> the wiring and protocols in the packet side of the house are not so clear to
> me.
>
> Our primary packet interface is Outpost and we are being pushed hard to use
> Winlink and Airmail which seems counter productive to me.
>
> Thoughts, questions, ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DAVID
> --
> David A. Lane, KG4GIY
> EC/RO Prince William County ARES(R)/RACES
> +1.703.628.3868
> http://www.pwcares.org/
> IM/Skype: kg4giy

Hello!
Slackware Linux is alive and well and is positively <BEEP!> and is
currently living at www.slackware.com and as it happens their HAM
stuff lives at their extra directory and in then in the (what else?)
ham directory, sources as appropriate. I've seen the xFBB items there.
(That's for their current or 12.1 versions, check their site for
details.)

There are rumors of course that there are problems regarding
everything there, but that's all they are.

Please note that it is constantly supported. And please feel free to
contact directly regarding Slackware questions.

--
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."