[time-freq] Reflock II observations

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Nov 20 19:17:49 UTC 2005

> First: I built a Byteblaster clone from a schematic found at:
> http://opencollector.org/history/freecore/Build%20your%20own%20ByteBlaster!.htm
> It's the same connections as Altera's schematic, but much easier to
> read w/ connector outlines.
> I added a Berg type jumper/selector to allow the 74LS244 Vcc to be
> optionally powered externally,
> in my case I set it to 4.5V but suspect 5.0V would have made no difference.

Be careful!  The Quartus II software lists the Byte Blaster II and *not*
the earlier Byte Blaster when programming the MAX II for a reason.  The
absolute voltage limit on any pin of a MAX II device is34.6V, and the
maximum recommended voltage is 3.3V.

If you are going to use a homebrew programmer, be *sure* it works
properly with the interface voltage *supplied* by the programming
connector on the Reflock II. The Byte Blaster II and Byte Blaster MV
allow the CPLD side to run on voltages like 3.3, 2.5 and 1.8 which is
required for many of the newer parts from Altera.

73,

Lyle KK7P