[time-freq] Handling 0603 parts

Steven Bible n7hpr at tapr.org
Sun Apr 30 23:16:27 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

The best way is to use a very good pair of tweezers.  The pair I have have a
very sharp point and curve about 60 degrees.  Look in the Newark catalog.
There's a nice selection.

When you open the tape of parts, use the tweezers to grab and pull back on
the clear part of the tape (the clear part of the tape is the cover).
Carefully pull the cover open and pour the parts ontop the work bench.  It
is best to only work with one value at a time (this way they don't get mixed
up).  Next, use the tweezers to pick up and place the parts into place.

Here's a web page I started on how to solder surface mount parts for the
DSP-10.

    http://www.tapr.org/~n7hpr/dsp-10/

I use to use no-clean flux, but I switched to organic water soluable flux.
The reason was cleaning.  The no-clean really needed to be cleaned with
isopropyl alcohol.  The organic cleans with water, which is much easier to
do.  I use a small bottle of organix flux with a needle dispensor.  I apply
it to the work and then solder.  The flux helps the solder flow and sweat
into position better than without flux.  One rule with organic flux, you
must clean it!  Don't let it set on the PCB overnight.  Once you are done,
give the board a good washing in warm water and soap.  Allow to dry (I use
compressed air to blow the excess water off).  If you don't clean the
organic flux off, any amount of moisture will active the flux later on and
corrode the PCB and parts.

Let me know what parts you need, I'll ship them to you.

73,

- Steve, N7HPR
 (n7hpr at tapr.org)