[time-freq] Handling 0603 parts

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Mon May 1 03:39:34 UTC 2006

Hello Chris!

I use a cheap stainless steel tweezer with a curved end so I can see the
part when I pick it up.

Another ham uses a normal wooden round toothpick that he touches to
bee's wax (available as sewing notions for making it easier to thread a
needle).  The bee's wax makes the end of the toothpick sticky enough to
easily pick up the part without any danger of it flying away from grip
pressure from a tweezer.

Like Steve, I use water soluble organic core solder and flux.  I rinse
no more than 60-minutes after the first flux is applied.  I just use
normal, hot tap water.  Sometimes I use an old toothbrush so scrub a
bit, sometimes not.  If I have used any solder wick on any connections,
I reflow with a lot of flux and also use the toothbrush during the rinse
in case there is some incompatibility with the flux in the solder wick.

I've soldered thousands of 0603 and similar parts, and hundreds of ICs
up to 208 pins over the last few years using these methods with no
virtually no problems.  The only problems I did have was early one, when
I didn't rinse the flux well enough.

Oh, and if you use an air compressor blow the rinse water off the board,
be sure the compressor is *not* oil lubricated.

73,

Lyle KK7P