[time-freq] Handling 0603 parts

Christopher T. Day CTDay at lbl.gov
Wed May 3 16:46:31 UTC 2006

Steve,

Address should be good, thanks.

The soldering kit sounds like a good idea to me. It's a little hard to
know what to look for in tools the first time around.

I've done several other projects with at least some SMD soldering -
various SoftRock models, RockMites, Warbler, Antenna Analyst 908, HPSDR
Atlas board,... This was my first time with 0603 parts, though. SMD
soldering is definitely fun, and probably quicker than through-hole once
you get the hang of it. Also from the list above, there are a lot of
really nice kits to build these days using at least a few SMD chips.
With the terrifically powerful chips available these days, I think
homebrew is undergoing a major renewal and SMD in an integral part of
it.

One thing - I like the parts page idea, but I think they would work
better if the paper chip tapes were taped to the page face down. The
packing tape used to attach them is so strong and springy that the chips
are tricky to extract. If the paper tape were face down, it could be
removed from the page and placed face up with its chip cover film
intact. I find it much easier to get out single chips then by pealing
back the film with a knife blade.

BTW, I'm 58, so this is not just a kid's game.

	Chris - AE6VK