[time-freq] SMT part removeal (was Handling 0603 parts)

Bill Tracey kd5tfd at ewjt.com
Wed May 3 20:55:55 UTC 2006

For removal of surface mount components I've had good results with a
'Stampabilities Embossing Heat Gun' - sells for $20 at Hobby Lobby,
frequently on sale for $10 or so.    The Soft Rock yahoo list and QRP-L
have had a fair amount of discussion on using this for assembly with solder
paste and the merits of hot air gun vs. toaster oven soldering.  Both
techniques seem to work, the nice thing about the hot air gun approach is
you can also use it for removal.

For info on the heat gun technique see:
http://www.zianet.com/erg/SMT_Soldering.html
For a write up on the toaster oven technique:
http://qrpradio.com/pub/Ham/SDR/SMT/SMT.html

Regards,

Bill (kd5tfd)