[time-freq] 0603 Parts Pick-up

Shane Justice ke7tr at cox.net
Thu May 4 04:36:34 UTC 2006

Folks,
Is there such a thing as a vacuum pickup for picking up parts? I was
thinking of rigging something up to my vacuum cleaner (say some
automotive vacuum hose) and attach it to a piece of glass, like a
pipette, with a hole in the side of it, that could be used to pick up
the small parts, and place them on the board in position. The part
could be soldered in place, and the vacuum reduced enough that the
vacuum tip releases the part. I'd use glass, as it won't melt at the
solder temperature, and the glass tubing is easy to work with a
propane torch.

Anyone experimented with a tool such as this? I think it would keep
parts from flying away, as with tweezers/ forceps.

73,
Shane
KE7TR