[time-freq] Board Cleaning (was Handling 0603 parts)

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Thu May 4 05:34:40 UTC 2006

  On the no-clean flux, I clean it with IPA (Isopropol Alcohol) you can
  get at the drug or hardware store.  Do use this stuff in a well ventilated
  area.  It is hard on the nose.  You'll see then why to switch to organic
:-).

There is some thought around here (HP Labs) that it is better _not_ to hand
clean boards built or re-worked with the no-clean variety of flux and
solder.  The belief is that it is better to leave the flux where it is than
to wash it into places it doesn't belong, especially when connectors are
involved and absolutely when bga and the like packages are in place.

I remember seeing such an advisement in service manuals at some point, but
I'm not sure it is still there.

When I am done with the current fire drill at work, I'll ask our library if
they can find a write up on the relative merits of cleaning vs not.

-ch

P.s. I'm a big fan of hoof tips for SMT work, especially for fine pitch ic
packages.  Hoof tips work fine, too, for R's, L's and C's in 1206 to 0402
and MELF, as long there is room for the tip.  Only sometimes do you need to
switch to something pointy.