[time-freq] RE: time-freq Digest, Vol 7, Issue 11

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Fri May 19 17:45:20 UTC 2006

> I just received my TADD-1 kit in the mail, and I wondered how I was
> going to enclose it after construction.  After poking through a few
> catalogs, I found the answer.  It just happens that the TADD-1 PCB is
> made to the Eurocard standard, and measures exactly 100 by 160 mm.  It
> also happens that Hammond Manufacturing Company makes a nifty
> instrument case that is designed to have a 100 by 160 mm Eurocard slide
right into the slots.
> It's Part Number 1402B.  To view this cabinet, go here:
> www.hammondmfg.com/dwg10.htm
> I ordered one of these cabinets from Mouser Electronics, as Part
> Number 546-1402B, for $36.99.  The catalog page is here:
> www.mouser.com/catalog/626/1462.pdf
> Whether this cabinet/PCB compatibility was coincidental or planned is
> unknown to me- but it certainly is a good thing!
>
> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

I used the 1455 series from Hammond to hold a pair of stacked TADD-1's.  It
worked very well -- I should send a picture.    The front and back panels
are flat sheet stock, which makes it easy to layout and punch the holes.
My box is longer than the board, but that was intentional -- the extra
length helps move the center of gravity backwards.  This is a good thing,
especially if you double stack as I did: there is quite a bit of weight in
the front of the board with the connectors, and it gets worse with cables
attached.

I doubt the size was an accident.   I also often use Eurocard size when
doing layout of larger boards because of the easy availability of
enclosures.

A good trick here is to layout the board such that you have strips of ground
without solder mask at the left and the right edges of the board where
fingerstock can be installed.  This gives you excellent case grounding and
keeps the board from rattling in the slots of the extrusion.

But what I really want for an enclosure for my TADD-1's and TADD-3 is a 1U
rack box with IEC AC power entry on the rear and outputs on both front and
back.  But that's going to have to wait ... too many other projects in the
way.

-ch