[time-freq] State of manuals for RefLock II?

Steven Bible n7hpr at tapr.org
Wed May 24 02:28:16 UTC 2006

Hi Mike,

If you think of the CPLD as a blank slate until it is programmed, then all
the jumper positions are not defined until programmed.  What we are
experiencing is a board that is very flexible in its configuration at the
expense of some confusion.

As Luis has suggested, what we need is a separate configuration manual that
explains the internal workings of the CPLD (once programmed) at the block
diagram level.  Then we need an explaination as to what each of the jumper
choices are so that you can make the selection based on your needs.

I hope that someone can jump in and help write these configuration
documents.  I would volunteer but I am so convered up with projects that I
would slip in getting them written.  I lend all my support in writting them.

To your questions:

> I don't understand what you mean by "Also, note that you will need a
> jumper in the choice of the phase detector output (JP3, JP4, or JP5)."
> How do I decide?

I'll be referencing the paper "Locking VCXOs to a GPS 1PPS output" at

    http://gref.cfn.ist.utl.pt/cupido/1pps_lock01.pdf

Here's a summary of the jumpers with the PCB silkscreen and information from
the r2_enhpps_30_1.pin file:

        CPLD  PCB
Jumper   pin  Silkscreen  r2_enhpps_30_1.pin
------  ----  ----------  ------------------
 JP3     109   PD2_N       pd2n
 JP4     110   PD2_I       pd2i
 JP5     111   PD1         pd1

(Luis, please correct me if I am wrong) The output of the r2_enhpps_XX_X
code is a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal that is low pass filtered by
components R30, R31, C24, and C25 (it would be good to have an explaination
of how these components do their job to aid people in selecting component
values for different projects).  The two jumpers that matter for
r2_enhpps_XX_X is JP3 (PWM+) and JP4 (PWM-).  Selection of which to use is
dependent on the VCXO voltage tune polarity.   If the VCXO increases in
frequency when VTUNE increases, then populate JP3 with a 0-ohm resistor.  If
the frequency of the VCXO goes down when VTUNE goes up, then populate JP4
with a 0-ohm resistor.

> Also - I see in r2_enhpps_30_1.txt that N1, N2, N4, and N8 as well as
> R0..R5 are accounted for.  What shall I do with the remaining "N" spots
> (16..2048)?

They are not used for the configuration of r2_enhpps_30_1.  The confusion
comes from silkscreening the PCB as if you plan to use the r2_flex_01 code
(this is my fault).  In retrospect, the jumpers should be more generic to
allow configuration of multiple types of code.  If you view the
r2_enhpps_30_1.pin file, you can verify the pins to the functions and
whether a pin is used or not.  I think what we need to spell out in the text
files is the pins that are "don't care" to help keep the confusion down.

> Finally, in r2_enhpps_30_1.txt it refers to "using the 00 configuration
> (ID-5000)" in the section about selecting ld_conf.  What is the 00
> configuration?

The ld_conf if for the quality indication shown by LED1 and LED2, it doesn't
affect operation.