[time-freq] TADD-3 Manual Errata

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Wed May 31 02:02:02 UTC 2006

I put a TADD-3 kit together this afternoon, using a copy of the manual
downloaded mid-day today.  A few notes seem in order.

It was a little confusing having the 3-pin headers split between two
paper envelopes (headers, and misc-2, if I recall correctly).  If I had
actually checked all the parts against the inventory before I started
assembly I might have been less confused...

The parts inventory says there should be 15 shorting blocks, but only 14
were provided.  (no worries, I have lots of berg jumpers around)

The parts inventory calls out two 10-pin headers.  The text of the
manual explains that it might be a snap-able 20-pin header, suggest
putting that in the parts inventory too.

Under capacitor installation, there is a typo in the line for installing
the 0.1uF caps... it should say (104), not (102).

Under initial test 2, there's an outright mistake.  It says to measure
the 5 volt rail on the cathode of D1... but D1 is on the input of the
regulator, not the output.  I suggest probing suitable pins on the IC
sockets as a better test anyway.

For what it's worth, my board drew about 7ma in the first ammeter test,
and 68.4ma in the second ammeter test.

Took a little over an hour to assemble, initial testing looks good.
Thanks for another very useful kit!

73 - Bdale, KB0G

ps:  Based on comments earlier on the list, I chose Hammond boxes from
Mouser, stock number 546-1402F for a TADD-1, a TADD-3, and some other
bits and pieces to sit on top of my old HP 58503A... and a 546-1402B for
the TADD-1 that will end up in the shed with the EME transceivers.  Will
try to remember to put some pictures up once everything is mounted.