[time-freq] TADD-1 gain?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Sep 8 01:27:12 UTC 2006

Hi Christopher --

I am just doing a quick email scan at the moment after being away for a
bit, so this isn't a researched answer, but you should be able to get
more output than that.

One limiting factor in the design is a voltage clamp in the MAX477 chip
that limits its output to 7 volts p-p unloaded, and about 5 volts when
loaded with 50 ohms.

You lose gain the TADD-1 in two places:  first, in the terminator at the
output of the first amp stage, which is a 270 ohm resistor and therefore
shouldn't load things down too badly but does have some effect, and
second in the series 50 ohm back-termination resistor in each of the
output amps, which effectively drops the output in half if the load is
50 ohms.

The overall gain/loss is a combination of the gain setting on the input
amp, the voltage loss in the 270 ohm terminator, and the loss in the
output terminators, with an overlay of the clamping voltage that may
limit the gain depending on the input level.

Finally, the R14/R15 voltage divider does somewhat lower the maximum
gain of the first stage from the theoretical value.  Reducing R14/R15 to
lower (but equal) values will increase the maximum gain a bit, but will
increase the current through those resistors.

John
----