[time-freq] What Use Clock-Block?

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:55:34 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:

> Do you "need" a Clock-Block for good NTP timekeeping?
> No.
> But it will help quite a bit if you're looking for "ultimate" stability.

I have been looking at setting up a NTP server for my own use using
the Clock-Block (and FatPPS) with a 10 MHz from a HP Z3801 GPSDO, and
the one thing I'm trying to determine is if I need a OS kernel with
nanosecond support (i.e. PPSKit for Linux) or not.

Inspired by John's Soekris NTP servers, I am looking at using Linksys
NSLU2 (home NAS) with a 266 MHz ARM5 processor. The default Linux
kernels from Linksys or NSLU2-Linux does not include
nanosecond/PPSKit, so I don't know if I need to rebuild the kernel
(and ntp) with the PPSKit patches.

-Michael, VE3TIX