[time-freq] Linux PPS and FreeBSD issues

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 23:43:12 UTC 2007

Hello!
I've been sorting through and reading messages on news://comp.protocols.ntp .

It seems to be an interesting study. There is a group there (or it
seems to me to be one.) that prefers FreeBSD exclusively. And there
are people like myself who are concerned with the PPS inclusion into
the Linux kernel. Accordingly there are kits available for this on the
Kernel.org server. But only for 2.6.15.1 and for 2.6.17.8. The author
of the kit is interested in updating this, but he's not clear on when
it would be released for the later 2.6 ones.

There is even one fellow who has NTP running on his Sun box from the
same time period as the I486DX2, he's got it running rather nicely.
But the big question for me is simply running Linux on hardware from
the same time period, and naturally that's what I've been up to.

The last I time I investigated FreeBSD was during the ramp up to
version 4.0. I daresay I never got things to work properly then. I've
heard some interesting complaints about building a kernel for that
operating system, versus the others from the BSD family, and Linux.

Would anyone care to comment?
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."