[time-freq] Linux PPS and FreeBSD issues

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Dec 28 18:56:06 UTC 2007

Hi Gregg --

I'm by inclination a Linux guy, but unfortunately there is some sort of
bad juju between the kernel people and the NTP people, and as a result
getting decent PPS timekeeping out of Linux is an ongoing challenge.  I
run FreeBSD (actually, the CF-based nanoBSD version) on my Soekris
servers as that seems to be the best way to make things work.

There is a shared memory (shm) program called shmpps that can pick up a
PPS signal from a serial port and pipe it to NTP, but I've had trouble
keeping that going for long uptimes.

It's a shame that Linux seems, for reasons I don't understand, to be
unable/unwilling to have the necessary kernel stuff to avoid patches,
but it's been that way for years and I haven't seen any sign of changes...

John
----