[time-freq] Linux PPS and FreeBSD issues

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Fri Dec 28 19:27:07 UTC 2007

John described the situation precisely.  It's been a sad state of
affairs for many years.  I did a contract project several years ago that
needed good PPS timing source to solve a problem serving long running
MPEG-2 streams.  I wound up paying to get PPSkit updated to PPSkit-2.1.2
in hopes of making the code part of the official kernel releases.

We solved our immediate PPS problem, but never got anyone interested in
making the PPSkit code part of the regular kernel release. It doesn't
seem to be a technical issue, there really is some bad chemistry going
on with PPS support and the kernel people.

jeff