[time-freq] Linux PPS and FreeBSD issues

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Sun Dec 30 18:26:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 13:56 -0500, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> Hi Gregg --
>
> I'm by inclination a Linux guy, but unfortunately there is some sort of
> bad juju between the kernel people and the NTP people, and as a result
> getting decent PPS timekeeping out of Linux is an ongoing challenge.  I
> run FreeBSD (actually, the CF-based nanoBSD version) on my Soekris
> servers as that seems to be the best way to make things work.

I was just reminded that there is a Debian variant merging a FreeBSD
kernel with an otherwise-Debian userspace and administrative model.  I
wonder if this might be interesting to play with?

I'm not likely to get to it anytime soon since my stratum 1 is running
happily and I've got higher priority projects, but if someone else does
I'd be interested in hearing a report.

Bdale