[time-freq] Assembled GPS timing kits?

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Thu Jul 12 01:20:15 UTC 2007

Greetings all,

I was originally looking to construct a GPS-based timing kit using the
Motorola Oncore, but I live in a small apartment and have little room
or money for various electronics-related tools (like a soldering iron,
wire, and so forth). That, and my knowledge of electronics assembly is
just enough to be dangerous. So building one is out.

Instead, I'm wondering if anyone here happens to have any assembled
kits (the exact GPS receiver is not important, so long as it's
accurate enough to provide highly accurate time, as the kit will be
connected to a computer to provide time to the local network and
offered to the public NTP pool) that they'd be willing to sell.

I'm looking for something that will provide an RS-232 serial
connection to the computer, and have 1 PPS output for accurate timing.
For power, it should connect to a standard 120v outlet. A battery for
maintaining GPS data during power outages would be nice, but is
optional as I have a good UPS setup here that should keep that from
being necessary. If the kit includes a decent antenna, preferably a
high-gain one that can be used with light overhead cover (an
overhanging roof, to which I lack upper roof access), that'd be ideal.

Basically, I'm looking for something that I can plug into the
computer, connect the antenna, power on, and be ready to use with the
most recent version of ntpd.

Does anyone have such things available? If so, what would be a
reasonable price for one? I live in Tucson, for what it's worth.

Cheers!
-Pete

P.S. I'm not sure if there's any CDMA or WWVB timing kits that anyone
might have assembled, but I get better CDMA signal than GPS here, and
I get strong WWVB signal even during the daylight. Such a setup would
be preferable to GPS, but if GPS is all that's available, I suppose I
can live with that. :)

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com