[time-freq] Assembled GPS timing kits?

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Thu Jul 12 18:05:51 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, michael taylor <mctylr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Pete Stephenson <pete at heypete.com> wrote:
> > Instead, I'm wondering if anyone here happens to have any assembled
> > kits (the exact GPS receiver is not important, so long as it's
> > accurate enough to provide highly accurate time, as the kit will be
> > connected to a computer to provide time to the local network and
> > offered to the public NTP pool) that they'd be willing to sell.
>
> I guess I would consider simply an OEM GPS module connected direct to
> the computer running NTP, like the Holux GR-213, which I think you can
> pick up for about $50-75, Garmin GPS 18 PC, or the Trimble's
> Resolution T (~$100 US) which is the cheapest "timing" GPS module I
> know of.

Michael,

That would be ideal. I was leery of GPS products sold at local retail
establishments, as I suspected they wouldn't be all that great for
timing, just like how most handheld navigational GPS units aren't
great for timing.

It looks like the Garmin GPS 18 PC is exactly the same as the GPS 18
LVC, except that the PC has a USB plug on the end, while the LVC has
bare wires. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to
just snip off the plug and re-wire it as a DB9 serial plug, but still
have it draw 5v power from USB?

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com