[time-freq] Assembled GPS timing kits?

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Thu Jul 12 20:08:21 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, John Koster <w9ddd at tapr.org> wrote:
> You may have the 18PC confused with the USB version.  The 18PC has the 9
> pin serial connector and a voltage regulator built into the cirgarette
> connector.
>
> The USB version will not become a serial unit by cutting off the plug.
> The manual isn't clear about it, but it implies that the USB doesn't talk
> NMEA like the PC and LVC version do.  It certainly isn't going to talk
> 4800 baud.
>
> Only the LVC versions have the PPS signal, so that's probably the one you
> need.  The tech manual does show how to connect it to the RS 232 port.
> You could steal the +5VDC from the USB, replace the 'battery' in their
> diagram with a USB connector.  The diagram doesn't show where to connect
> the PPS signal (yellow wire), you'd have to check the NTP docs to see
> where that should go.
>
> The complete manual is available at garmin.com.  They keep moving things
> around, so it might be easier to fetch from:
>
> http://www.garmin.com/manuals/425_TechnicalSpecification.pdf
>
> However, that might not be the very latest version of the manual.

John,

You're right. I was confused by the different models of the GPS 18
that are offered.

It looks like the LVC model is the way to go. I know some folks at the
local university electronics shop, and they said I can use their
soldering gear and whatnot at no cost.

Thanks for helping me avoid an expensive mistake of buying the wrong
GPS receiver.

Cheers!
-Pete

--