[time-freq] RE: Reflock II assembly

Christopher T. Day CTDay at LBL.Gov
Wed Mar 14 05:39:39 UTC 2007

Randy,

Your board has passed the no-smoke test. Voltages at the regulators are
fine. I threw together a tiny Verilog program to light the LEDs and they
are fine.

[N.B. - Randy wants to lock a 144.075MHz VCO to a 10MHz reference.]

On further examination, I find that I don't actually understand the
simple solution. It seems to be referred to in the paper
< http://gref.cfn.ist.utl.pt/cupido/univlock01.pdf > but I can't make
that paper jibe in my head with the notes in any of the available
configurations. I'm hoping Luis Cupido, the author of the paper and the
configurations will see this mail and comment. I had thought from the
paper referenced that I could set things up to lock at any multiple of
25kHz, but the notes all talk about either GPS 1pps locking or dividing
both the reference and the VCO. Unfortunately, the prime factors of 113,
17, and 3 in 144.075 make for a division of 5763 which seems to be
beyond what is available in the standard CPLD configuration.

While I don't know this stuff well at all, I could try to put together a
Verilog file that divides your VCO by 5763 and the reference by 400 and
feed it to the phase/frequency detector used on the HPSDR Janus board. I
don't off the top of my head know what that would mean for the PWM
filter values, but I suspect that the default ones on the board may not
be right. Nor am I certain that it would really work and I don't have
the VCO to test it. Phil, Luis, I'm fishing here. Help, please.

	Chris - AE6VK