[time-freq] Phase noise

Ron Meiring rmeiring at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 9 20:18:14 UTC 2008

>If I have a clean crystal oscillator running at, say, near 100 MHz
>and I want to pull it on frequency and stabilize it I have heard of
>the method called injection locking' where a small signal, usually
>from a synthesizer is coupled into the crystal oscillator.

> My question is, what happens to the phase noise?

I have tried this injection locking with a X-tal, here
but it failed :-(

So used a free running OSC instead on 100 Mhz just of the experiment.
With a free running LC osc it is much easier to do.

Well it will be come much (much)  better. Phase noise will not be as
good as the reference but close to a normal X-tal.
The Phase noise is a function of where the oscillator is before, it
locked and after locking.
So the closer it is to where you want it, the better it becomes.

Ron VK4KDD