[time-freq] TADD-2 Help Please

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Apr 13 12:41:12 UTC 2010

Hi Mack --

The sync function is optional; the divider will work just fine if you
don't use it.

Without using synchronization, the timing of the output pulses will be
arbitrary, because the divider just starts counting as soon as power and
reference input are applied.  So if you don't care about the phase of
the output pulse, just power the thing up and ignore the SYNC and ARM
inputs.

The SYNC function allows you to synchronize the counter to an external
source.  So, if you want the TADD-2 PPS to be aligned with the Tbolt
PPS, you would:

(a) start the TADD-2 and supply the input frequency

(b) attach the TBolt PPS to the SYNC IN connector

(c) momentarily short the ARM pins (don't keep them shorted) -- red ARM
LED should be on

(d) wait for the next TBolt PPS to turn the green "SYNC" LED on

(e) disconnect the TBolt from the SYNC input

That caused the PIC to reset and start counting again on the rising edge
of the pulse on the SYNC IN connector.

Now, the TADD-2 PPS will be synchronized (in phase) with the TBolt PPS,
plus or minus the period of the input signal and any processing delays
-- which means that with a 10 MHz input you'll normally be lined up to
within about 200 nanoseconds worst case.

Hope this helps.

----