[time-freq] Efratom GPS Antenna

2005 at bobby.net 2005 at bobby.net
Mon Jul 5 14:59:09 UTC 2010

First, I don't know anything about this antenna.

If you can't find docs or data anywhere...
Assuming (which might be a mistake) it is an active antenna, and that DC is
fed up the coax, here are some ideas you can try.

First using a multimeter check for an open, diode junction, or perhaps a DC
short on the coax.

If it looks like an active antenna, try applying 3V to it via your receiver.
Look at the signal quality indicators, you might only have signal strength
for the individual SVs being tracked, or worse only the number of SVs being
tracked. You can (and probably should) also monitor the antenna current
supply for rapid ramping.

Slowly increase the voltage to 3.3v and see if the numbers get better or
worse.
It is unlikely this antenna requires any more than 5V, so I would not go
higher than without some other information indicating a higher voltage was
used.

Good luck.

73, Bobby k4bga