[time-freq] TADD-1 10 MHz filter

Don Graham degraham at people.net.au
Sat Mar 19 13:43:00 UTC 2011

I've recently built up the TADD-1 RF distribution amp kit, (but initially without the 10MHz filter
option) and it looks like it will do the job nicely. Thanks to those involved in the design and
kitting process! However as my Shera 10 MHz GPSDO source is a pseudo square wave I
thought I would proceed to add the filter. And...you guessed it I've come across what appears
to be an error in the Installation Advice which specifies two inductors for the filter, each
wound on an Amidon toroid type  T50-2 with 27 turns to achieve the necessary 14.5uH.

I now find from the archive that this has been pointed out before but I can't see what
happened to sort it out.

It seems that the 14.5uh and all the other filter bits are absolutely correct (as per a filter
design application) but two separate design formulae indicate that a T50-2 needs about 54
turns not 27 to achieve that inductance. It could be a tight fit but when I get some toroids will
have a try. Has anybody else sorted this out? Is there a hiccup in the toroid type? If there is a
correction it would be a good move to update the Assembly Manual.

73...Don VK6HK