[wxsig] Beta kits

William Beals will at beals5.com
Tue Jul 20 03:27:57 UTC 2004

John:

Thanks for sending out the beta kits.

For the Beta folk:

Do not install
 X1 32.768KHz crystal
 C10, C11: 20pf capacitors
 R6: 330K resistor
 R7: 10M resistor

You will receive a 32MHz crystal oscillator from John shortly.  The best
place for this crystal oscillator is to "dead bug" it on the back side of
the main T238+ board underneath the CPU.  Note the locations of pins 7, 8,
and 14.  Pin 1 is idendified by both a dot on the top of the package and a
less rounded corner on the package flange.  Be careful on noting the pins,
as you will be dealing with an upside-down chip, so the pin ordering will be
reversed too.

Using any convenient SHIELDED wire make the following connections:
Oscillator pin  7 (GND) to C1, pin closest to J1.
Oscillator pin 14 (VCC) to C1, pin farthest from J1.
Oscillator pin  8 (CLK) to U2, pin 5.

The purpose of this rework is use an external oscillator instead of the MCUs
built-in oscillator.  That oscillator requires an additional VCO filter I
did not include and the easiest solution is to just go back to an
oscillator.  Production boards will have the oscillator support in the
layout.