[wxsig] Rain Gauge Calibration

Clay Cottingham Clay at Cottingham.net
Wed Feb 23 04:20:39 UTC 2005

Thanks for looking. The mid of the lip actually makes sense, since that is
the "divide" for which way the water flows.

I went ahead and mounted it for now. Unfortunately, I have to put it on the
roof since I have no place near the ground to mount. 30 minutes later had a
rare huge rainstorm (live near Stockton, CA) but only recorded 0.08" of rain
when it was obviously a lot more. Then it jumped 2.58" all at once. Found it
locked up this morning. Was displaying the "Currently" screen but not
collecting data, no output on the serial port to computer and no response
from pushing any buttons.

According to the Dallas Semiconductor whitepapers, you can run the single
wire as a start topology which I am. I have a Cat5 that runs about 25' to
the attic then is wired into 6 modular RJ-11 jacks with punch downs. I then
have RJ-11 plugs installed on 2 separate Cat5s to the rain gauge and to the
main sensor suite.

Had 11-14 error counts on each of the sensor lines yeterday before it locked
up, but no errors since. Of course, no rain either, so I have no idea if it
was a fluke or if my star topology has issues.

If I can find my serial adapter for the 1-wire, I will use it to do some
more testing.

Clay