[wxsig] too many weather station choices

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Sat Jan 1 17:46:39 UTC 2005

I've had "aprs weather station" on my list of projects for a while,
and it's getting dangerously close to the top. I might actually
have to build it.

So I'm trying to choose hardware. I had long though that I would
use a one-wire system from AAG. The basic system is relatively
cheap, but if you add the tipping rain gauge and adapter, the
price begins to approach one of the Davis stations.

I *like* the idea of one-wire. I like the idea of hooking it to
a T238+ and possibly adding more sensors that can be sent
as status messages. Or something. Or with an OpenTracker. Or
possibly an augmented T238+ that's a RELAY digipeater :-)

But I also like the idea of a Davis system with a wireless
remote display that's in the house where I can see it instead
of the T238+'s display that's in the closet where the APRS radio is :-)

(It's not clear to me that the wireless Davis systems are really
where it's at, or that they have the required serial output for
running an APRS station - I guess TinyTrak supports the Davis protocol.)

I'm not really considering the OS WM 918 because it seems a
lot of people have problems with them.

So .. words of wisdom anyone?

73 de chris KG6VYD