[wxsig] too many weather station choices

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Jan 1 18:24:53 UTC 2005

I guess you need to specify which APRS client you're talking about.

I'm mostly familiar with Xastir, for the Linux side, although it also
compiles on Mac OSX, Solaris, and Windows with Cygwin...  I do not
believe the DOSAprs s/w supports *any* weather stations.

IIRC, WinAPRS supports Davis, Peet Bros, and Oregon Scientific formats.

 From the Xastir wx.c code:
// The code currently supports these types of locally-connected or
// network-connected weather stations:
//
//   Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2000 (Set to Data logging mode)
//   Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2000 (Set to Packet mode)
//   Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2000 (Set to Complete Record Mode)
//   Peet Brothers Ultimeter-II
//   Qualimetrics Q-Net?
//   Radio Shack WX-200/Huger WM-918/Oregon Scientific WM-918
//   Dallas One-Wire Weather Station (via OWW network daemon)
//   Davis Weather Monitor II/Wizard III/Vantage Pro (via meteo/db2APRS
link)

I cannot speak for APRS-SA or UIView.  Sorry.

There are other sources.  Look for K0RX's uWx.  I've used it and like
it.  It'll accept an AAG anemometer, and there are plans to expand the
code to accept a tipping bucket rain gauge.  I've intentions of getting
Dave to work with me to redesign the T/H/Pb sensor board to support
insertion into an aspirated Gill (or similar) solar radiation shield,
but that's a nacent project.

If you really want to spend money, look at the Vaisala WXT510, that I've
just started playing with.  While it's not really T-238 fodder, I will
probably report on its use soon.

gerry