[wxsig] too many weather station choices

Clay Jackson clayj at nwlink.com
Sun Jan 2 00:51:43 UTC 2005

I own a Davis WMII - it was my first and LAST Davis Weather Station.  It
still works, and so I haven't had the motivation to get rid of it; but:

It's INCREDIBLY sensitive to RF - I spent a LOT of (and $$ on extras,
like shielded junction boxes from Davis) time isolating things before it
wouldn't go nuts (readings of 0 and so on) on even 5W from a 2M handheld
30 ft away.

The computer interface is an 'extra' piece of hardware, and it uses a
proprietary (OK, it's documented, but it's not 'normal' ascii data bits)
'language' to communicate (which is why there so few programs that will
record it).

If/when I have to replace it, I'm going to try a PEET.

Clay - N7QNM