[wxsig] Help with T-238 failure

John Koster w9ddd at tapr.org
Wed Jun 29 07:52:55 UTC 2005

Any indication that the LCD module survived?  For some reason that and the
crystal modules would be the first suspects on my list.  You should be
able to talk to the unit without the LCD though via the PC port.

I'd start by verifying the oscillator works with either a scope or logic
probe that's good to 32MHz.  Nothing happens with the 32MHz clock working.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 Sct599 at aol.com wrote:

> Hello Group:
>
> I am looking for any input you all may be able to provide concerning a
> failure with my T-238 (original model).
>
> Found that the U5 voltage regulator had failed putting approx 11 volts on
> the 5 volt buss. Replaced U5 and no indication of unit coming back to life.
> Performed the "Power up and initial testing" procedure and all appears to be OK.
> Is it safe to assume that the U3 microprocessor and possibly all components
> powered by the 5 volt buss have been destroyed?  If so, is there any hope  in
> repairing this unit?
>
> 73,
> Scott - NØLNE

John, W9DDD