[wxsig] Help with T-238 failure

Clay Cottingham Clay at Cottingham.net
Thu Jun 30 04:55:26 UTC 2005

Scott -

I have the original T238 and have spent some time mucking around with it
both in hardware and software. The heartbeat is software controlled so as
John said it should pretty much narrow it down to the crystal or the CPU.
The CPU is rated for 5V so there is a pretty good chance it is fried - the
good news is that a new one will set you back about $11 + s/h - you will
still need to load it though. As I understand it, the T238+ needs a
different crystal to run in debug mode which would be required to load the
software on an off-the-shelf CPU. Hopefully TAPR or Will or someone can
provide a programmed CPU for a nominal fee.

I would also check the MAX232E since there are varieties that are rated for
5V and 12V. Not sure what was used on the T238+

I haven't been able to find much on the specs for the LCD panel nor a
datasheet. The link on Will's site is no longer active. If anyone has info,
please let me know where to get it.

I ran into heat issues originally when I was using a 12V wall wart supply.
Got a 7.5V one from Radio Shack and can now safely touch the heat sink on
the regulator. The regulator is rated for a max of 35V input and has thermal
shutdown protection, so in theory it should not have failed due to heat, but
the extra heat dissipation may have caused the failure.

Hopefully Will or someone else can give you better news. :)

Clay