[wxsig] Quality of instruments?

Rich Mulvey rich at mulveyfamily.com
Wed Nov 9 21:22:58 UTC 2005

Mike B wrote:

> Greetings, all.  I'm new to the list, and am in the process of
> researching various home weather station systems.  The 1-wire system
> looks intriguing, as does the APRS functionality from TAPR.
>
> Poor reviews on the quality of instruments is what turned me off the
> "mass market" systems from Oregon Scientific & LaCrosse.
>
> How do the instruments from AAG hold up?

   They seem to last a few years, at least.  There have been reports of
the reed switches in the aneometer going bad, but they're relatively
easy to replace.  My first one lasted 3 years in Upstate NY, until water
got in and damaged the PC board.

   Just note that the temperature sensor, being embedded in the weather
head, is all but useless.  You'll really need an external temp sensor to
have any hope of having a consistently accurate measurement.

- Rich