[wxsig] Quality of instruments?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Nov 9 22:24:57 UTC 2005

There are several issues one should look at with regard to instrument
quality.

1.  With mechanical anemometry, one needs to look at the inertia
associated with starting the cup or propeller.  If the bearing(s) get(s)
sticky, windspeed and direction will suffer.  There were problems
several years ago with Peet Bros. anemometers that I recall, and I also
recall Peet spending a lot to take care of those in replacements.
2.  Inter-instrument reproducibility of measurements (inter-instrument
variablilty) is an issue for some of us who look at the QA/QC of the
APRS and CWOP networks.  A lot of the professional world is now starting
to appreciate the increased densification offered by APRS-Wx and CWOP,
and are using the data.  If there are problems resolving reproducible
numbers for temp, pressure or humidity (or, for that matter, wind), then
the numbers become suspect.  Some of the NOAA QC processing catches some
of these trends and tendencies.  Some get missed.
3.  The resolution of most of these instruments isn't the same as the
"professional" instrumentation.  That said, if it's reproducible it's
certainly still usable.
4.  VERY IMPORTANT:  Please get the siting guide and white paper from
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf, and look at the
resources page at:  http://www.wxqa.com/resources.html
There's LOTS of good information there.  Siting is the greatest concern
we have with respect to getting good data.

73, gerry