[wxsig] T-238 Humidity Calibration

Ken.A.Brown at noaa.gov Ken.A.Brown at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 2 12:14:22 UTC 2005

Will,

I understand the problem with the BP sensor. You need to
use a very accurate and high resolution volt meter to
read the voltages directly on the board and even then it
takes a lot of fooling around to get the span and offset
correct.  I had to calibrate mine several times. Each
time I would determine how many millibars in error it was,
convert that error to meters of elevation using the
Smithsonian met tables, and compute new voltage values for
the settings.  I'm still a bit off but it is real close
and tracks well.  I'm still troubled with out lying spikes
in the indicated pressure that are many millibars high,
somewhat like the wind gust problem you described.  Most
days I get none but other days there may be one or a few,
hours apart.  I have never been sitting in front of the
T238 when it happens and only see it in the APRS output
packets.  I'm sure it isn't corrupted packets because I
see it on my local APRS station and also in the QC data
on the web.

For humidity my sensors indicate saturation when the RH
is only around 95% and they seem to track about 5% high
all the time.  I thought maybe scaling the voltage from
the sensor to the one-wire device might work but haven'
tried it yet.

Ken Brown