[wxsig] BP calibration (was T-238 Humidity Calibration)

Will Beals will at beals5.com
Tue Sep 6 02:43:03 UTC 2005

Bob:

In your earlier email you actually hit upon the great debate on several
forums on how best to do BP measurements.  The problem was exactly one of
resolution versus range.  While I wasn't a direct participant in the debate,
the root issue was that in order to get the needed resolution out of the
sensor to be useful, you had to apply the offset to the analog signal before
it got digitized.  If you just fed the raw uncalibrated BP sensor into the
1-wires A/D chip, the needed range to incorporate the baseline pressures
from sea level to 8000+ feet meant that the bit left to determine the change
in resolution were not enough for meaningful BP change tracking.

At the end of the debate, the resultant sensors that came out and what I
ended up supporting assume the offset and "gain" are done in the analog
domain.