[wxsig] Keying Kenwood HT and Current Consumption questions

Will Beals will at beals5.com
Sun Apr 30 01:38:20 UTC 2006

Mark:

1) Uh-oh, I did not include direct support for positive PTT signalling.
This may take some special rigging.  I believe Kenwood has their manuals
online.  Can you point me to the manual for your HT so I can see what may
work.

2) I sacrificed a wall-wart to do an in-line current measurement and get
50ma steady-state for the T238+ with peaks above that for when the LED
flashes.  This was done without the LCD plugged in at all which I assume is
your desired configuration for a remote solar powered station.  It was also
done with no sensors plugged in.  If most of your sensors are powered by the
1-wire bus, the added power should be negligible.  If you are particularly
handy (and power miserly), you can run the T238 from any supply voltage
greater than 7.5V.  Anything above that is dissipated as heat in the linear
regulator.

3) Sorry, not able to measure the other temperture sensors.

Also, if you haven't seen the app note on the website for the T238
(http://www.beals5.com/wx, then select  "How to build a T238", I have a
circuit that allows you to power down the HT completely between
transmissions.