[wxsig] Keying Kenwood HT and Current Consumption questions

Mark Patton k0yg at arrl.net
Sun Apr 30 23:03:31 UTC 2006

Hi Will,

Below is the link to the manual to the HT that I'm thinking of using.  I
have an old ICOM dual-band HT that I'll be using for the "proto" - then
will move to the Kenwood once I get everything up and running properly.
Thanks to the pointer on the power switch for the radio - I'll need
that.  I also found out that not all radios power up in the same
configuration that the power down in.  ie - I have a Yaseu VX-5 that
comes up with the power turned off if the battery is removed and replaced.

http://kenweb1.kenwoodusa.com/KenwoodPortal/KenwoodComm/Resources/AMA_InstructionManuals/TH-K2AE%20English%20PDF.pdf

Page 104 has the wiring diagram.

To save power, I was thinking about installing a switch to turn off the
display light and/or to simply remove the display.  Wouldn't I need to
have the display attached to configure the date, sensors and call sign -
then remove the display?  I hate to do this with the power on so I was
thinking of rigging in a power switch for the display.   I was also
thinking of removing the Max232 since I don't need to be talking to a
computer.  The data sheet says it consumes 5ma that I could save. Any
thoughts on these ideas?

I will be running it from a 12V battery that may get up to 15V when
charging.  I will need to check the power dissipation of the regulator
in an enclosed box but if I remove the display and get the power down to
45-50ma, I doubt that this will be much a problem.

Mark