Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[wxsig] RE: wxsig Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4 reply

Ronald Draper ron at rondraper.com
Thu Dec 14 18:39:47 UTC 2006


Try a  audio  transformer  to  match  the  impedance   levels
Radio shack     makes a  small audio transformer Radio shack   has one  for
about  3 bucks  1k  to 8 ohms  with  a   small .01 uf  Bypass   cap   will
pass audio levels and meet the  impedance  changes  between   Radio and
unit.       
You need  to common  a  input  line and  output line  tied to a  the .01
and  other side to gnd  .   You will be  astounded  the  level change   to
point may need a   pot 
To adjust  ( or  vol control  on radio ) 
The  8 ohms  goes to   speaker  side  of  radio and  the   1 k  to input  of
tapar.


Ron Draper
Ron Draper
www.ron at rondraper.com
 
-----Original Message-----
From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On
Behalf Of wxsig-request at lists.tapr.org
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:14 PM
To: wxsig at lists.tapr.org
Subject: wxsig Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4

Send wxsig mailing list submissions to
	wxsig at lists.tapr.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	wxsig-request at lists.tapr.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	wxsig-owner at lists.tapr.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of wxsig digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. RE: Low Audio (Will Beals)
   2. RE: Low Audio (wn0x at earthlink.net)
   3. RE: Low Audio (Will Beals)
   4. RE: Low Audio (wn0x at earthlink.net)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:11:35 -0700
From: "Will Beals" <will at beals5.com>
Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
To: "'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List'" <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>,
	<Sct599 at aol.com>
Message-ID: <mailman.0.1166119203.786.wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"

Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!

Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other folk
to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as possible, but
suspected there would be issues.

will 

-----Original Message-----
From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On
Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio


   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
   everyone know.

     -----Original Message-----
     From: Sct599 at aol.com
     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio

   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:

     Will,
     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
     any suggestions?
     Rich
     _______________________________________________
     wxsig mailing list
     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig

   Hi Rich:

   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
   someone on the list. It worked good.

   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
   .1uf.

   Scott - N0LNE
_______________________________________________
wxsig mailing list
wxsig at lists.tapr.org
https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig






------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:55:11 -0500 (EST)
From: wn0x at earthlink.net
Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
To: will at beals5.com, 	TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
	<wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
Message-ID:
	
<25845215.1166068511237.JavaMail.root at elwamui-rubis.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
	
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Both the Yaesu FT212RH (Mobile 2 meter) and Radio Shack HTX202 exhibit the
problem.  I will try a slightly larger capacitor before I replace the
resistor with a 4.7K ohm value.

I am very pleased with the T238+.  I was a beta tester for the original
T238, and owned two of the K0DSP versions of the original T238.

The T238+ is much more compact and easier to fit in a case.  The only
complaint I have with the modem is that a Kantronics configuration would
have been more convenient for me personally.

When you consider that you are replacing the computer and TNC the T238+ is
an excellent value.  I am looking forward to trying a remote weather
station, possibly with a solar panel for charging.  Any ideas on how I could
power up the radio a few seconds before I transmit?

Thanks for sticking with us Will and adding features Will.

BTW,  AP006 still shows up as inactive in MesoWest.  How do I get ahold of
Russ to fix that?

Rich


P.S. The kit was missing an LED and ferrite bead.  



-----Original Message-----
>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:11 PM
>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>,
Sct599 at aol.com
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!
>
>Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other folk
>to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as possible, but
>suspected there would be issues.
>
>will 
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On
>Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
>To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>
>   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
>   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
>   everyone know.
>
>     -----Original Message-----
>     From: Sct599 at aol.com
>     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
>     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:
>
>     Will,
>     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
>     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
>     any suggestions?
>     Rich
>     _______________________________________________
>     wxsig mailing list
>     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>   Hi Rich:
>
>   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
>   someone on the list. It worked good.
>
>   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
>   .1uf.
>
>   Scott - N0LNE
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig




------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:36:48 -0700
From: "Will Beals" <will at beals5.com>
Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
To: "'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List'" <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
Message-ID: <mailman.1.1166119203.786.wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"

Rich:

I do seem to remember your callsign from the "early days"!  Thanks for the
nice words.

I think the previous guy who had audio issues had an HTX202 too.  What do
you mean by the Kantronics configuration?

For remote use, I do have some support to power up the radio only when
needed.  Go to http://www.beals5.com/wx, select "how to build a T238" (not
the +) and about half way down on that page is the suggested circuit to
power the radio.  I do toggle Port C bit 0 for a few seconds before and
after I send out the message.  I only know of two people who have asked
about the circuit and I believe have actually used it too.

will


-----Original Message-----
From: wn0x at earthlink.net [mailto:wn0x at earthlink.net] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:55 PM
To: will at beals5.com; TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio

Both the Yaesu FT212RH (Mobile 2 meter) and Radio Shack HTX202 exhibit the
problem.  I will try a slightly larger capacitor before I replace the
resistor with a 4.7K ohm value.

I am very pleased with the T238+.  I was a beta tester for the original
T238, and owned two of the K0DSP versions of the original T238.

The T238+ is much more compact and easier to fit in a case.  The only
complaint I have with the modem is that a Kantronics configuration would
have been more convenient for me personally.

When you consider that you are replacing the computer and TNC the T238+ is
an excellent value.  I am looking forward to trying a remote weather
station, possibly with a solar panel for charging.  Any ideas on how I could
power up the radio a few seconds before I transmit?

Thanks for sticking with us Will and adding features Will.

BTW,  AP006 still shows up as inactive in MesoWest.  How do I get ahold of
Russ to fix that?

Rich


P.S. The kit was missing an LED and ferrite bead.  



-----Original Message-----
>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:11 PM
>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>, 
>Sct599 at aol.com
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!
>
>Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other 
>folk to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as 
>possible, but suspected there would be issues.
>
>will
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org 
>[mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
>To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>
>   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
>   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
>   everyone know.
>
>     -----Original Message-----
>     From: Sct599 at aol.com
>     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
>     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:
>
>     Will,
>     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
>     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
>     any suggestions?
>     Rich
>     _______________________________________________
>     wxsig mailing list
>     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>   Hi Rich:
>
>   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
>   someone on the list. It worked good.
>
>   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
>   .1uf.
>
>   Scott - N0LNE
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig







------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:03:42 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
From: wn0x at earthlink.net
Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
To: will at beals5.com, 	TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
	<wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
Message-ID:
	
<7034490.1166101422792.JavaMail.root at elwamui-mouette.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
	
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Kantonics had a standard configuration for the female DB9 connector on their
TNCs, pin 1 was TX_Audio, Pin 3 was PTT and Pin 5 RX_Audio, Pin 6 & 9 were
grounded.  

Since there are literally thousands of KPC3, KPC3+ & KAM owners there are
just as many "dongles" made to work with their respective radios.  Instant
T238+ connection.

With that said - a very good reason to not to use their standard is that two
female DB9 connectors on the same device is asking for trouble.  At some
point in time they will get confused and the wrong cable goes to the wrong
place.  I have a female to femail adapter from the modem to the case, so
that I can use my existing TNC cables.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:36 PM
>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>Rich:
>
>I do seem to remember your callsign from the "early days"!  Thanks for the
>nice words.
>
>I think the previous guy who had audio issues had an HTX202 too.  What do
>you mean by the Kantronics configuration?
>
>For remote use, I do have some support to power up the radio only when
>needed.  Go to http://www.beals5.com/wx, select "how to build a T238" (not
>the +) and about half way down on that page is the suggested circuit to
>power the radio.  I do toggle Port C bit 0 for a few seconds before and
>after I send out the message.  I only know of two people who have asked
>about the circuit and I believe have actually used it too.
>
>will
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: wn0x at earthlink.net [mailto:wn0x at earthlink.net] 
>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:55 PM
>To: will at beals5.com; TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>Both the Yaesu FT212RH (Mobile 2 meter) and Radio Shack HTX202 exhibit the
>problem.  I will try a slightly larger capacitor before I replace the
>resistor with a 4.7K ohm value.
>
>I am very pleased with the T238+.  I was a beta tester for the original
>T238, and owned two of the K0DSP versions of the original T238.
>
>The T238+ is much more compact and easier to fit in a case.  The only
>complaint I have with the modem is that a Kantronics configuration would
>have been more convenient for me personally.
>
>When you consider that you are replacing the computer and TNC the T238+ is
>an excellent value.  I am looking forward to trying a remote weather
>station, possibly with a solar panel for charging.  Any ideas on how I
could
>power up the radio a few seconds before I transmit?
>
>Thanks for sticking with us Will and adding features Will.
>
>BTW,  AP006 still shows up as inactive in MesoWest.  How do I get ahold of
>Russ to fix that?
>
>Rich
>
>
>P.S. The kit was missing an LED and ferrite bead.  
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:11 PM
>>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>, 
>>Sct599 at aol.com
>>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!
>>
>>Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other 
>>folk to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as 
>>possible, but suspected there would be issues.
>>
>>will
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org 
>>[mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
>>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
>>To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>
>>   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
>>   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
>>   everyone know.
>>
>>     -----Original Message-----
>>     From: Sct599 at aol.com
>>     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
>>     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>>   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:
>>
>>     Will,
>>     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
>>     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
>>     any suggestions?
>>     Rich
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     wxsig mailing list
>>     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>
>>   Hi Rich:
>>
>>   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
>>   someone on the list. It worked good.
>>
>>   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
>>   .1uf.
>>
>>   Scott - N0LNE
>>_______________________________________________
>>wxsig mailing list
>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>wxsig mailing list
>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig




------------------------------

_______________________________________________
wxsig mailing list
wxsig at lists.tapr.org
https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig


End of wxsig Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4
************************************





More information about the wxsig mailing list