Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[wxsig] RE: wxsig Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4 reply

wn0x at earthlink.net wn0x at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 14 22:13:29 UTC 2006


Thanks Ron,  I'll give that a try as well.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
>From: Ronald Draper <ron at rondraper.com>
>Sent: Dec 14, 2006 12:39 PM
>To: wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>Subject: [wxsig] RE: wxsig Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4  reply 
>
>Try a  audio  transformer  to  match  the  impedance   levels
>Radio shack     makes a  small audio transformer Radio shack   has one  for
>about  3 bucks  1k  to 8 ohms  with  a   small .01 uf  Bypass   cap   will
>pass audio levels and meet the  impedance  changes  between   Radio and
>unit.       
>You need  to common  a  input  line and  output line  tied to a  the .01
>and  other side to gnd  .   You will be  astounded  the  level change   to
>point may need a   pot 
>To adjust  ( or  vol control  on radio ) 
>The  8 ohms  goes to   speaker  side  of  radio and  the   1 k  to input  of
>tapar.
>
>
>Ron Draper
>Ron Draper
>www.ron at rondraper.com
> 
>-----Original Message-----
>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On
>Behalf Of wxsig-request at lists.tapr.org
>Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:14 PM
>To: wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>Subject: wxsig Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4
>
>Send wxsig mailing list submissions to
>	wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>	https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>	wxsig-request at lists.tapr.org
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>	wxsig-owner at lists.tapr.org
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of wxsig digest..."
>
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. RE: Low Audio (Will Beals)
>   2. RE: Low Audio (wn0x at earthlink.net)
>   3. RE: Low Audio (Will Beals)
>   4. RE: Low Audio (wn0x at earthlink.net)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:11:35 -0700
>From: "Will Beals" <will at beals5.com>
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>To: "'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List'" <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>,
>	<Sct599 at aol.com>
>Message-ID: <mailman.0.1166119203.786.wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
>Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
>
>Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!
>
>Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other folk
>to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as possible, but
>suspected there would be issues.
>
>will 
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On
>Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
>To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>
>   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
>   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
>   everyone know.
>
>     -----Original Message-----
>     From: Sct599 at aol.com
>     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
>     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:
>
>     Will,
>     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
>     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
>     any suggestions?
>     Rich
>     _______________________________________________
>     wxsig mailing list
>     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>   Hi Rich:
>
>   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
>   someone on the list. It worked good.
>
>   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
>   .1uf.
>
>   Scott - N0LNE
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:55:11 -0500 (EST)
>From: wn0x at earthlink.net
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>To: will at beals5.com, 	TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
>	<wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
>Message-ID:
>	
><25845215.1166068511237.JavaMail.root at elwamui-rubis.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
>	
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
>Both the Yaesu FT212RH (Mobile 2 meter) and Radio Shack HTX202 exhibit the
>problem.  I will try a slightly larger capacitor before I replace the
>resistor with a 4.7K ohm value.
>
>I am very pleased with the T238+.  I was a beta tester for the original
>T238, and owned two of the K0DSP versions of the original T238.
>
>The T238+ is much more compact and easier to fit in a case.  The only
>complaint I have with the modem is that a Kantronics configuration would
>have been more convenient for me personally.
>
>When you consider that you are replacing the computer and TNC the T238+ is
>an excellent value.  I am looking forward to trying a remote weather
>station, possibly with a solar panel for charging.  Any ideas on how I could
>power up the radio a few seconds before I transmit?
>
>Thanks for sticking with us Will and adding features Will.
>
>BTW,  AP006 still shows up as inactive in MesoWest.  How do I get ahold of
>Russ to fix that?
>
>Rich
>
>
>P.S. The kit was missing an LED and ferrite bead.  
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:11 PM
>>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>,
>Sct599 at aol.com
>>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!
>>
>>Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other folk
>>to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as possible, but
>>suspected there would be issues.
>>
>>will 
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On
>>Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
>>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
>>To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>
>>   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
>>   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
>>   everyone know.
>>
>>     -----Original Message-----
>>     From: Sct599 at aol.com
>>     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
>>     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>>   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:
>>
>>     Will,
>>     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
>>     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
>>     any suggestions?
>>     Rich
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     wxsig mailing list
>>     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>
>>   Hi Rich:
>>
>>   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
>>   someone on the list. It worked good.
>>
>>   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
>>   .1uf.
>>
>>   Scott - N0LNE
>>_______________________________________________
>>wxsig mailing list
>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>wxsig mailing list
>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:36:48 -0700
>From: "Will Beals" <will at beals5.com>
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>To: "'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List'" <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
>Message-ID: <mailman.1.1166119203.786.wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
>Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
>
>Rich:
>
>I do seem to remember your callsign from the "early days"!  Thanks for the
>nice words.
>
>I think the previous guy who had audio issues had an HTX202 too.  What do
>you mean by the Kantronics configuration?
>
>For remote use, I do have some support to power up the radio only when
>needed.  Go to http://www.beals5.com/wx, select "how to build a T238" (not
>the +) and about half way down on that page is the suggested circuit to
>power the radio.  I do toggle Port C bit 0 for a few seconds before and
>after I send out the message.  I only know of two people who have asked
>about the circuit and I believe have actually used it too.
>
>will
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: wn0x at earthlink.net [mailto:wn0x at earthlink.net] 
>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:55 PM
>To: will at beals5.com; TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>
>Both the Yaesu FT212RH (Mobile 2 meter) and Radio Shack HTX202 exhibit the
>problem.  I will try a slightly larger capacitor before I replace the
>resistor with a 4.7K ohm value.
>
>I am very pleased with the T238+.  I was a beta tester for the original
>T238, and owned two of the K0DSP versions of the original T238.
>
>The T238+ is much more compact and easier to fit in a case.  The only
>complaint I have with the modem is that a Kantronics configuration would
>have been more convenient for me personally.
>
>When you consider that you are replacing the computer and TNC the T238+ is
>an excellent value.  I am looking forward to trying a remote weather
>station, possibly with a solar panel for charging.  Any ideas on how I could
>power up the radio a few seconds before I transmit?
>
>Thanks for sticking with us Will and adding features Will.
>
>BTW,  AP006 still shows up as inactive in MesoWest.  How do I get ahold of
>Russ to fix that?
>
>Rich
>
>
>P.S. The kit was missing an LED and ferrite bead.  
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:11 PM
>>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>, 
>>Sct599 at aol.com
>>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!
>>
>>Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other 
>>folk to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as 
>>possible, but suspected there would be issues.
>>
>>will
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org 
>>[mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
>>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
>>To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>
>>   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
>>   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
>>   everyone know.
>>
>>     -----Original Message-----
>>     From: Sct599 at aol.com
>>     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
>>     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>>   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:
>>
>>     Will,
>>     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
>>     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
>>     any suggestions?
>>     Rich
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     wxsig mailing list
>>     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>
>>   Hi Rich:
>>
>>   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
>>   someone on the list. It worked good.
>>
>>   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
>>   .1uf.
>>
>>   Scott - N0LNE
>>_______________________________________________
>>wxsig mailing list
>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>wxsig mailing list
>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:03:42 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
>From: wn0x at earthlink.net
>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>To: will at beals5.com, 	TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
>	<wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
>Message-ID:
>	
><7034490.1166101422792.JavaMail.root at elwamui-mouette.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
>	
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
>Kantonics had a standard configuration for the female DB9 connector on their
>TNCs, pin 1 was TX_Audio, Pin 3 was PTT and Pin 5 RX_Audio, Pin 6 & 9 were
>grounded.  
>
>Since there are literally thousands of KPC3, KPC3+ & KAM owners there are
>just as many "dongles" made to work with their respective radios.  Instant
>T238+ connection.
>
>With that said - a very good reason to not to use their standard is that two
>female DB9 connectors on the same device is asking for trouble.  At some
>point in time they will get confused and the wrong cable goes to the wrong
>place.  I have a female to femail adapter from the modem to the case, so
>that I can use my existing TNC cables.
>
>Rich
>
>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:36 PM
>>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>
>>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>Rich:
>>
>>I do seem to remember your callsign from the "early days"!  Thanks for the
>>nice words.
>>
>>I think the previous guy who had audio issues had an HTX202 too.  What do
>>you mean by the Kantronics configuration?
>>
>>For remote use, I do have some support to power up the radio only when
>>needed.  Go to http://www.beals5.com/wx, select "how to build a T238" (not
>>the +) and about half way down on that page is the suggested circuit to
>>power the radio.  I do toggle Port C bit 0 for a few seconds before and
>>after I send out the message.  I only know of two people who have asked
>>about the circuit and I believe have actually used it too.
>>
>>will
>>
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: wn0x at earthlink.net [mailto:wn0x at earthlink.net] 
>>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:55 PM
>>To: will at beals5.com; TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List
>>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>
>>Both the Yaesu FT212RH (Mobile 2 meter) and Radio Shack HTX202 exhibit the
>>problem.  I will try a slightly larger capacitor before I replace the
>>resistor with a 4.7K ohm value.
>>
>>I am very pleased with the T238+.  I was a beta tester for the original
>>T238, and owned two of the K0DSP versions of the original T238.
>>
>>The T238+ is much more compact and easier to fit in a case.  The only
>>complaint I have with the modem is that a Kantronics configuration would
>>have been more convenient for me personally.
>>
>>When you consider that you are replacing the computer and TNC the T238+ is
>>an excellent value.  I am looking forward to trying a remote weather
>>station, possibly with a solar panel for charging.  Any ideas on how I
>could
>>power up the radio a few seconds before I transmit?
>>
>>Thanks for sticking with us Will and adding features Will.
>>
>>BTW,  AP006 still shows up as inactive in MesoWest.  How do I get ahold of
>>Russ to fix that?
>>
>>Rich
>>
>>
>>P.S. The kit was missing an LED and ferrite bead.  
>>
>>
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>>From: Will Beals <will at beals5.com>
>>>Sent: Dec 13, 2006 10:11 PM
>>>To: 'TAPR Weather Station SIG Mailing List' <wxsig at lists.tapr.org>, 
>>>Sct599 at aol.com
>>>Subject: RE: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>>
>>>Thanks Scott, I was going to dig up that old email too!
>>>
>>>Rich, what radio are you interfacing with, that may be handy for other 
>>>folk to know.  I tried to make as general purpose an interface as 
>>>possible, but suspected there would be issues.
>>>
>>>will
>>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>From: wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org 
>>>[mailto:wxsig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of wn0x at earthlink.net
>>>Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:52 AM
>>>To: Sct599 at aol.com; wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>>Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>>
>>>
>>>   Thanks.  Replacing R101 was not quite enough.  My next step was to
>>>   pick a value for C111 and give it a try.  I'll try the values and let
>>>   everyone know.
>>>
>>>     -----Original Message-----
>>>     From: Sct599 at aol.com
>>>     Sent: Dec 13, 2006 7:48 AM
>>>     To: wn0x at earthlink.net, wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>>     Subject: Re: [wxsig] Low Audio
>>>
>>>   In a message dated 12/12/2006 8:13:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>>>   wn0x at earthlink.net writes:
>>>
>>>     Will,
>>>     My audio from the modem to the radio is a bit low.  I have replaced
>>>     R101 with a 10K resistor but it is not much better.  Do you have
>>>     any suggestions?
>>>     Rich
>>>     _______________________________________________
>>>     wxsig mailing list
>>>     wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>>     https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>>
>>>   Hi Rich:
>>>
>>>   I experienced the same problem.  I received the info below from
>>>   someone on the list. It worked good.
>>>
>>>   Low TX audio:  Corrective action: Change  R101 to 4.7K and C111 to
>>>   .1uf.
>>>
>>>   Scott - N0LNE
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>wxsig mailing list
>>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>wxsig mailing list
>>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>wxsig mailing list
>>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
>
>
>End of wxsig Digest, Vol 28, Issue 4
>************************************
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>wxsig mailing list
>wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig





More information about the wxsig mailing list