[wxsig] Wind Speed Spike

Ken Brown n5kuk at arrl.net
Sat Jul 8 23:50:58 UTC 2006

Will,

Several times in the last couple of weeks I have had a wind speed
spike of 199g099.  This is since the nearby lightning event that
caused several other, seemingly resettable problems in the weather
station and other equipment.  That was also when the MAX232 chip
failed and the barometer became erratic.  The barometer is now
plugged into a test T238 that has no outside sensors and seems to
be fine.  The status messages for a couple of hours before, the
affected line and several after are included below.  The wind
sensor is an original Dallas Semi although purchased from AAG.

normal data at 1404z 01080B350D55FED1
normal data at 1504z 01080B350D0CFEBF
N5KUK>APRS,NORMAN:@081509z3513.25N/09724.85W_191/199g099t080
(line wrap) P000r000h61e1w 03AC1DFFFF53E23A
normal data at 1604z 01080C350D16FCC0
normal data at 1704z 01080D350D19FDC2

I had a similar problem a year or more ago and I changed the T238,
wind sensor, and wiring.  I don't know what may have cleared it
at that time.

On another subject, I notice on the schematic that you use three
pins on the CPU to generate the one wire bus.  I assume this is
to improve fan-out.  Are all three pins the same or do you transmit
on two and receive on one?  I ask because I thought I might try to
separate the one wire lines going to my wind, temp/rh/rain, and
barometer, by separating the transmit and receive lines into
some external devices to create three one wire bus lines.

Ken Brown