[wxsig] Hot regulator

Rasputin Novgorod priapulus at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 13:37:45 UTC 2006

Hi all:

I just built the TAPR 238+ Weather station controller
and it seems to be working just fine, except the 5 volt
regulator chip is hot. I can put my finger on it,
or it's heat sink, but I can't keep it there.
I'm feeding it 13.8vdc (my whole shack runs on 13.8 vdc).

I was thinking of putting a second regulator, about 9 volt,
external and in front of the power connector, so the voltage
is knocked down in two steps, so each regulator is sharing the
load.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Sincerely
/Blair